Though small, Arusha National Park is one of the parks richest with wildlife. Besides that, the park offers you beautiful landscapes with diverse natural features. These include lakes, swamps, waterfalls, forests, volcanoes, mountains. It is an ideal habitat for any animal species. Enjoy mesmerizing sights of birds such as hornbill, flamingoes. If you have read about the black and white colubus monkey, then this is their home.
Mount Meru is a dormant volcano in Tanzania, the second highest mountain in the country. It is found in Arusha National Park standing at 4,566 meters in height (14,990 feet). The mountain is very beautiful but not so favourable when it comes to climbing- quite challenging.
Canoeing and/or walking in Arusha National Park
Canoeing and walking are popular activities to engage in while visiting the park. You will however need an armed ranger for such tour activities. Such activities gives you an opportunity to see wildlife up-close, which is better than just using your binoculars to zoom-in animals from many miles while seated in your tour van.
The park is just some 45 minutes from Arusha town.
We have a number of itineraries with tours to Arusha National Park. Check out our packages
Hundreds of bird species
• Mountain climbing
• Lake Duluti walk
• Mountain bike tour
• Coffee Plantations Visit
• Cultural tours
• Local market visits
• Mount Meru located in the park is the second highest mountain in the country.
• Hosts seven shallow alkaline lakes- Momella Lakes.
• Has a popular crater known as Ngurdoto Crater. It’s a swampy crater, a home to various wildlife.
• On bright days, you can enjoy beautiful views of Mount Kilimanjaro from the park.
• Beautiful volcanic scenery and rain forest.
• You drive under fig tree canopies creating beautiful arch over the drive lanes.
• Kilimanjaro International Airport to Arusha City- 1 hour
• Arusha City to Arusha National Park- 45 minutes
• Arusha National Park to Tarangire or Lake Manyara- 2 ½ hours
• Arusha National Park to Ngorongoro- 3 hours
• Arusha National Park to Serengeti- 5 hours
Arusha National Park is mostly preferred due to the availability of variety of bird species. The park also hosts various types of monkeys which are usually rare in other elsewhere in Tanzania. Canoeing and nature walks are some other activities that we have seen our tourists really interested in. This is because it gives them a chance to see wildlife up-close.
We would recommend a 1-day stay in the park- that would just be enough for you. However, if you would like to climb Mount Meru, then 3 to 4 days would be ideal for you.